Speed dating times in saskatoon
The area was long-known to the local Cree as a good place to stock up on willow wands for arrow shafts.
Thus the name of the place was “Sask-kwa-tan” – roughly, “the place where willows are cut.” In 1882, the Toronto-based Temperance Colonization Society was granted 21 sections of land straddling the South Saskatchewan River, between what is now Warman and Dundurn.
"There is even an almost-certainly-apocryphal story to the effect that John Lake, upon being given a handful of these berries and told their name immediately cried “Arise, Saskatoon – Queen of the North!
Sutherland, the rail town annexed by the city in 1956 that lies beyond the University lands, is now another historic neighbourhood.The aim of the group was to escape the liquor trade in that city and set up a "dry" community in the Prairie region.The following year settlers, led by John Neilson Lake, arrived on the site of what is now Saskatoon and established the first permanent settlement.The settlers travelled by railway from Ontario to Moose Jaw and then completed the final leg via horse-drawn cart as the railway had yet to be completed to Saskatoon.In 1885 the Northwest Rebellion affected the tiny community in a variety of ways.